Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Elegant Accessories & Jewelry: An Interview with Mikiye's Creations

This weeks interview features Mikiye Narita from Mikiye Creations. Anne is Northern California U.S.A

Tell us a little about yourself
I grew up in a family full of artistic women and was bit by the art bug early in!. life. I have always loved keeping myself involved with anything that I can express my talents in. I spent 15+ years working as a Professional Makeup artist in Los Angeles and about 7 years ago began my love affair with making flowers. It wasn't long until my clients and friends were asking me to make them flowers and accessories so it was a natural move to start my own business. I am completely self taught so it's great fun for me to see how far I have come and how much my skills and techniques have improved

What special things do you create for weddings?
I create one of a kind customized hair accessories. I am constantly learning and being inspired by my Brides. They always have me on my toes when it comes to creating their one of a kind pieces for their Special Day. It's so fantastic to always be striving to be the best I can be and creating heirloom pieces that they will cherish forever.

Who or what sparked your interest in making wedding-related items?
Honestly, it was a friend of a previous roommate of mine that designed INCREDIBLE costumes. My old roommate took Drag to another level! Anyway, his friend eventually went to N.Y. to design couture Wedding Gowns and before he left he gave me the final inspired push! I've always LOVED wedding items and anything glamorous and dressy so after many of my friends and clients swaying me I thought I'd give it a try!

What is a little known fact, or something unique about your work that is interesting?
I've always been inspired by history! Art History was one of my favorite classes!
I just drooled over the elaborate clothing and accessories. The paintings, colors and representations of opulence drove me wild! I try to incorporate that richness into my work.
Little inklings of it here and there. I think my attention to detail and quality help bring my passion to fruition.
If you are married, what’s the one thing you wish you had for your wedding that you didn’t?
N/A

What is your favorite wedding song?
It had to be you. I always get weak in the knees when I hear it.

What is your favorite part of the wedding journey?
After all the time with friends and family helping out it's wonderful when you see it all come together!

What advice can you share for all the brides getting married this year?
I would say to just take a step back and breath.
It's ALL ABOUT YOU so don't get stressed out!
Ask A LOT of questions and be patient. Give yourself plenty of time and everything always comes together in the end!

What is your perfect honeymoon spot?
Italy
Since I first saw one of my favorite movies Room With A View i knew it would have to be Italy.

If you could pick anyone famous that would purchase your items for their wedding, who would they be?
Oprah and Drew Barrymore. Drew had my earrings but I would LOVE to see her in a wedding piece of mine!

If you could choose 1 item from your shop that you wish every bride could have, what would it be?
A custom hair piece. There really is nothing like something hand made specifically for YOU.

Links where we can find out more about your work:
http://www.mikiye.etsy.com
http://www.mikiye.blogspot.com

1 comments:

Crystal Lullaby said...

What beautiful and unique hair accessories, love them!