Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Modern Invitation Design: An Interview with Maida Vale

This weeks interview features Heather Locke or Maida Vale. Heather is located in Seattle, WA.

Tell us a little about yourself.
After I graduated from Indiana University’s School of Fine Arts, my career began as a graphic designer in the newspaper industry. Eventually, I moved into interactive design and advertising. When I relocated (with my husband and two kitties) to Seattle in 2005, I decided to focus on establishing a business that reflects what I’m passionate about—clean + simple design paired with great customer service. I’ve always loved working with paper, and after creating my own wedding stationery in 2004, Maida Vale seemed like a natural next step.

What special things do you create for weddings?
I create modern (and affordable!) wedding invitations, save-the-date cards, menus, programs, thank you cards, table numbers, favor tags and much more! To fit within varying budgets, every design in my collection is offered in two printing styles: luxurious letterpress-for-less and affordable offset (flat) printing.

Who or what sparked your interest in making wedding-related items?
Although I began designing invitations for friends long before my own wedding, planning that event really grew my interest in pulling together the look and feel of an entire wedding.

What is a little known fact, or something unique about your work that is interesting?
Like I mentioned previously, every design in my collection can be letterpress or flat printed—meaning there is something for every budget.

If you are married, what’s the one thing you wish you had for your wedding that you didn’t?
Etsy. Converse shoes for my groom. Tea-length bridesmaid dresses. The budget for letterpress printing. None of these were possible at the time!

What is your favorite wedding song?
It’s a toss-up. I adore both The Beatles “In My Life” and Frank Sinatra’s “The Way You Look Tonight”.

What is your favorite part of the wedding journey?
Seeing all of our favorite people come together to share in our happiness was by far the most fulfilling and heartwarming part of our journey. We have never felt more loved in our lives. As an added bonus, many of our guests formed long lasting friendships because of the wedding.

What advice can you share for all the brides getting married this year?
Personalize your wedding as much as possible and don’t stress about perfection. Adding fun and meaningful touches to your wedding day will make it memorable for both you and your guests. Aiming for perfection while planning, however, will only make the journey less enjoyable.

What is your perfect honeymoon spot?
Northern Italy.

If you could pick anyone famous that would purchase your items for their wedding, who would they be?
Lily Allen. Her style is so fresh and fun.

If you could choose 1 item from your shop that you wish every bride could have, what would it be?
A letterpress printed set of wedding invitations, complete with a set of patterned envelope liners and belly bands. I particularly love Wren from my newest collection, and Bloom from the original designs.

Links where we can find out more about your work:
www.maida-vale.com
http://maidavale.etsy.com
http://blog.maida-vale.com

Etsy Wedding Team Blog



1 comments:

Nitesh Sharma said...

thanks for nice blog share. wedding is very important all of you. we have more idea for wedding planing like. Drinks Coasters. ...Bring your guests closer. ...Ribbon Wands. ...
Create An Original RSVP Card. ...Flower Girl Keepsake. ...Your Bouquet's Not Just For Flowers.
They're Engaged... ...Novel Ways To Throw A Garter. If you want to write for us Fashion.. Than visit my website Write for us Fashion